Friday, May 13, 2011

Youth Ministry Trap

So I just co-hosted a small conference (or a discussion) among the youth pastors of the 100 largest churches in my denomination.

As I am still trying to unpack the conversations we had, the learning we shared I find one pervasive element rising from this week - comparison.

I don't think I'm the only one that struggles with this. There were some extremely successful, gifted, challenging folks in the room from around the country. All I could think about was, "Why am I here?" Don't get me wrong - I don't second-guess my calling or my gifts for ministry but I can't help thinking - "Why didn't I think of that idea? That is incredible! How did they pull that off in a large church?"

Truth is, there will always be someone better than me doing ministry - at least in my eyes. But as I have been earnestly praying through this I have found solace in the Grace that meets me in my desire to compare myself to others. I must trust in God's spirit to guide me and lead me where I am. The comparison game is always going to be there, we are human, it is inherent to covet - at least it is for me.

I get the strong sense that God wants us all to know that we have been called to be where we are, to do what we do for the kingdom to honor Him and Him alone. He doesn't compare us to those who make us feel like Charlie Brown.

Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ. Galatians 1:10


Grace & Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment