Monday, June 20, 2011

language, love and South Mississippi


*disclaimer*
This is by no means a 'diss' of anyone from anywhere in particular.
This is a rant, a struggle and therapy for a present burden.

"If you want to know what is in ones heart, listen to what comes out of their mouth."

Suffice to say I have been doing a lot of observing and listening over the past few weeks as re-entry has begun into a new-but-familiar culture that is my home. The place of my childhood and formative years. The place I am un-shakingly proud of. The place that I hope to call home for many years to come.

I love my new job, my church, my students... I count myself blessed beyond measure.

But I am burdened. Burdened by the words I hear fall so often from others mouths.

I start from a place of inclusiveness. A place of love. I attempt to walk with my savior who showed this world a love like no other. A love that healed lepers, redeemed prostitutes, embraced tax collectors and most of all made a way for All of God's creation to know what life truly is.

I hear things. Words. Words, phrases, labels that divide. Phrases that marginalize, that discriminate. Words that do the exact opposite of what Christ came to do, show and live-out for the whole world to see.

Am I healed of this. No, I am a work in progress but I know what has been confirmed in my heart. Cemented deep within my spirit is a truth that can only be there of the divine - that all of this creation is God's. That the mighty acts of Jesus were not just for some but for all.

If what I am hearing is affirming the hearts of those uttering I must put my head down, get on my knees and know that there is work to be done. Is this a burden - yes. Does it fan the flame of my calling - absolutely. There is work to be done. There is a kingdom to proclaim. There is love to show. May God give me strength to be faithful to his call.

No comments:

Post a Comment